Saturday, May 18, 2019

11 - Watsonville, CA: Mi Rancho

Mi Rancho is a special place. At the intersection of W. Beach and Walker in the industrial section of town, across from the odd murals of the old timey buildings, its a lunch spot for truckers and workers. Again, super burrito was definitely not the correct order, but I'm more than halfway through (excluding restaurants, counter order only), so what the hey.

I had to order over the shoulders of two loud, greasy men who were sitting at the counter directly in front of the register in order to visit with one of the proprietors. I requested a carnitas super burrito and was provided a basket of chips and a nice, spicy salsa at my table. I saw a paper that described the building as historic and Mi Rancho's effort to open here worthwhile. I did not read the paper and do not know the history yet.

The burrito arrived with a fork and knife, but I made due with my paws. I had not consider that such a platonic ideal could exist, but this was the very perfection of a super burrito made by someone who makes excellent food, but does not really make a lot of super burritos. It was a delicious carnitas plato wrapped up and carefully placed inside of a unheated tortilla. Just carnitas, beans, rice, and a little onion and cilantro garnish. At first resistance made me uncertain, but halfway though the beauty of the wrap revealed itself to me and the joy blossomed.

On the way out I studied the walls again and noticed a sign for Tortas Ahogadas, a specialty of Guadalajara that I have only ever seen outside of Jalisco once ('drowned sandwiches' - an especially firm bread roll covered in a spicy tomato soup/sauce). The man confirmed that they have them, and it might have been the Spanish talking, but I believe he said they only serve them between six and seven.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I will order a Torta Ahogada at 6:30pm and burn my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment