Monday, February 25, 2019

2 - Watsonville, CA: Taqueria La Buena

Second stop on my journey, Taqueria La Buena is a cheerful, narrow space tucked in next to a bunch of big brands like Starbucks and Target. I asked for a recommendation and the woman working the register was disinclined, naming all the meats. Alambre caught my eye. Its a word I know I've seen before, but La Buena has English translations of all the meats and it was a revelation: beef and bacon. The path before me was clear. Super burrito con alambre, poco carne.

At La Buena, they have a 'poco carne' button on the cash register, so it showed up on my receipt.

Normally in Watsonville I go shopping at the supermarket formerly known as Mi Pueblo (now Cardenas), and I don't know if I've ever seen another white person there. At La Buena there were some white people eating a business lunch. I guess Starbucks is just a few steps away.

La Buena has a table salsa bottle, a roasted salsa verde, that is a stand out sauce. Table salsa bottles are my very favorite way to have access to salsa. Thicker than a hot sauce, but thin enough to come out the opening, I love applying a topping without utensils or dipping. And, free, in endless quantities. This one is a very good one. It has that slightly oily feel of a roasted salsa, and a wonderful sharp flavor.

The burrito itself was excellent. The refried beans 'loose' (which is how I think of refried beans with plenty of whole beans, not too smashed up). The rice was flavorful. Ingredient distribution was excellent. The alambre was incredible! The beef was cooked just so, even a little pink, and the bacon added quite a depth.

Next time I'd order the same thing, Super Alambre Burrito with poco carne. 

No comments:

Post a Comment